- Behaviours are often conditioned responses to the antecedents and triggers in our lives. Please keep in mind that you are changing behaviours that you have learned over your life-time. When changing behaviours you need to understand that what took a life time to learn will also take time to change. Give yourself the time to make the changes you want now in your life.
- Practice Practice and more Practice. Any life change, or anything we try to learn, takes practice until we have mastered it. You may be successful one day and not the next. That is normal and don't let it stop you. Give yourself the "down' day and try again tomorrow. Don't give up ok? Practice and give yourself time.
- When you begin to change behaviours, you may find the behaviour may get worse before it gets better. Sometimes when we begin to make changes in our lives, we can fight our selves with our own thoughts, we can also self-sabotage our efforts too.
- You may also find that others around you want to give their two cents worth or are not supportive of your changes. Surround yourself with people who will encourage, inspire and support your life changes.
- Reward your efforts!! When you have reached a goal or mastered a life change, reward your efforts! You've worked hard and you deserve it! When we reward ourselves it is encouraging and will help to ensure that we continue with our changes. Even as adults we need to reward positive behaviour changes in ourselves no differently than we would our children.
- Have a positive behaviour to replace the negative! This step is so important and if you don't do this step, you may find yourself repeating your old behaviours.
Remember...two steps forward and one step back is not a disaster...its the cha-cha.
Take good care of you