(specifically chapter 52 page 464)
This is a text book that I used while in college and have referenced many times since. I will use the text to offer some further understanding to pain. The following has been re-typed exactly as it is in the text book.
- Exercise: Don't compete; keep exercise private. Do your "personal best."
- Nutrition: Develop a healthy diet.
- Recreation: Learn to have fun; it's okay to act silly; learn to play.
- Relaxation: Learn to relax both passively (self-hypnosis, meditation, deep breathing) and actively (knit, sew, read, travel)
- Support: Join a support group, ask your family to join a support group, ask your family to be there when you're hurting.
- Hobbies: Keep occupied; do things alone where you are not dependent on other people; develop new hobbies that fit your reduced physical abilities.
- Rest/Get Enough Sleep: Learn relaxation and stress management techniques. It is easier to cope when rested.