"Don't run from your pain - run into your pain" (Bryant McGill)
Hmm...don't run from your pain...run into your pain? I tell ya...those nine words had my mind thinking. What did you think when you read it? What thoughts went through your mind? Are you running from your pain or are you running into it? hmm....
We know how we can run from our pain...but how do we run into it? And do we even want to? OH YEAH! we do!
(just a few examples and I challenge you to give thought to how you may be running right now)
- we isolate ourselves away from those we love and need and we even run from our own lives
- we stop caring for our-self and our needs
- we abuse and hurt ourselves with our actions, our words, and our behaviours too
But when we run into our pain? Well...that's a whole other story...
(just a few examples and I challenge you here too to give thought to how you might turn around and start running into your pain instead)
- we seek out the things that help us to smile and the things that help us to feel good about ourselves and our lives (even when we're hurting)...we care for ourselves and our needs
- we are involved in our treatment plan and we're open to trying new and different things...and we have an open line of communication with our doctors and treatment team
- we accept that although our life is a hurting one...it's ours to live to the best of our abilities each and every day...with our actions, with our words and our behaviours too
When you give thought to this...are you running from your pain or into your pain? What can you do now moving forward to make this life one you want to live (even if it's a hurting one)?
Most likely? our pain is now with us for as long as we are here...and we have a choice to make. Will you live for you or will you live for your pain? Will you run from it or will you run into it? The choice is yours to make...it is your life after all.
Choose wisely and please take good care of you.