Your choice of substances is serving a purpose in your life right now. Do you know what it is? Do you know why you chose the substance in the first place? Do you see that there is a problem within your life due to your substance use?
Substance abuse can be defined as...
Substance Abuse Definition:
long-term, pathological use of alcohol or drugs, characterized by daily intoxication, inability to reduce consumption, and impairment in social or occupational functioning; broadly, alcohol or drug addiction.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Take a look at the following assessment and answer the questions honestly. There is help out there but if you aren't honest about what is going on in your life, you aren't likely to get the help you need. Be honest with yourself please.
Substance Abuse Self Assessment Tool
DO I HAVE A SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROBLEM?
Please read each statement carefully and please respect yourself enough to answer them honestly. Don't be embarrassed and please be gentle with yourself as you take each statement into consideration
You're not the only person who will lose out if you aren't honest.
- Do you use drugs or alcohol daily or more than 3x/week?
- Do you use drugs or alcohol multiples times in a day?
- Do you black out from your use of drugs or alcohol?
- Do you have problems remembering “the night before”?
- Are you having problems paying the mortgage/rent or paying the bills because of your drug or alcohol use?
- Do you hurry home so you can drink or do drugs?
- Do you have to have drugs or alcohol to have fun?
- Do you sneak around or tell lies to your family and friends to explain or excuse your drug or alcohol use?
- Do you miss work on a regular basis due to your use of drugs or alcohol?
- Do you have a criminal record because of your use of drugs or alcohol?
- Do you need more and more to get the same buzz or effect?
- Do your friends and family comment on the changes in your personality and it makes you angry?
- Does it upset you for someone to express concern with the amount of drugs or alcohol you consume?
- Have you stopped participating in activities like before because you want to spend more time doing drugs or drinking?
- Have you ever taken prescription medication in ways other than intended?
- Have you ever taken over the counter medications in ways other than intended?
- Have you ever taken prescription medications for reasons than other wise intended?
- Have you ever taken over the counter medications for reasons than other wise intended?
- Have you ever taken prescriptions that weren't yours to use so that you could get a buzz or a high?
- Do you take prescription drugs differently than recommended for example do you snort your medication instead of swallowing it?
- Do you feel your life is out of control due to your drug or alcohol use?
- Have you ever taken more medication than what is prescribed by a physician?
- Have you ever been convicted of driving under the influence either drugs or alcohol?
- Have you ever driven under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
- If yes to #24 have you ever done this with your kids in the car with you?
- Have you had a relationship/marriage end because of your use of drugs or alcohol
When you are done, sit back and honestly look at your answers. Are your answers more yes's or more no's?
Be honest with yourself. You know your life better than anyone else.
Do you need help to deal with this problem? If your answer is yes but you're not sure where to go, please take this self assessment to your family doctor at your next appointment. Your family doctor will know just what to do with it and where you can go for help. Don't be ashamed to bring this with you. Your life may depend on it.
You are worth getting help! So is your spouse, your children and your family. With help, support and a strong dedication, you CAN make the changes you need.
We cannot fix what we do not acknowledge.