Do the things you choose to use aid or lessen your pain? Does it improve your quality of life? Are you more active in your life because of your choices? Are the side-effects you may be experiencing from medications worth the benefits? Very personal questions I know...but please do give them some thought.
How we choose to treat and manage our pain is our choice...and it's a very personal one. Please keep in mind that I'm not sharing this topic with you as a way to sway your choice, but to encourage you to explore your choices and to ask to ask yourself some serious questions.
Are you getting your therapies worth?
- Prescription medications
- Injections - nerve blocks, cortisone injections, infusions etc.,
- Over the counter medications (Tylenol, Advil, Motrin etc.,)
- Medicinal Cannabis
- Herbal remedies
- Creams, gels, and others muscle rubs and patches containing medicinal ingredients to numb painful areas
- TENS machines
- Gentle exercises, stretches, range of motion
- Yoga, Tai Chi
- Mindful meditation and visualization for relaxation therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Chiropractor, Physiotherapy
- Hydro Therapy (this could be exercises in a pool, soaking in a warm tub, swimming etc.,)
- Talk Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Psychotherapy, etc.,
- Art Therapy (colouring, painting, crafts, hobbies etc.,)
- Music Therapy (playing an instrument, listening to music, going to concerts, etc.,)
- Group Therapy (Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Support Groups etc.,)
The above list is just a starting example of the various "therapies" we can try. What does your list look like? Are there any therapies you are curious to try?
When you give thought to what you are using or doing...to the choices you are making to help you live with and manage your pain...
- has your pain improved/lessened?
- are you managing your pain better?
- is your diagnosis/illness well managed?
- are you more active in your life?
- has your quality of life improved?
Just a few questions to think about and I hope you will. And please ask yourself...are you getting your therapies worth? And if you decide you're not...I hope you will take the steps for you moving forward so that you are. The choice is yours and the benefits could be too.
Explore your alternatives...make the best choices for you moving forward and as always...
take good care of you please