We know living with pain sometimes means we have to cancel plans. We don't like having to do it, and sometimes we beat ourselves up when we do...is this true for you? Have you ever gotten upset or angry with yourself when you've had to cancel plans? What if you were to make a plan for your pain instead of beating yourself up? Nosy and personal questions I know but give them some thought okay?
here are a few ideas...
- on the day of your plans...take it easy! don't do any big chores or heavy activity that will cause you pain or make you tired. The more we do before our plans...the less likely we're able to keep our plans. So take it easy and just relax yourself okay? Save your energy for your friends and family.
- dress comfortably! even if that means you go in your comfies...your comfort is important!
- bring along your portable coping skills...what helps you to manage your pain? What can you bring along with you that helps to soothe your mind and body? give it some thought okay?
- talk to your friends/family and let them know how you're feeling and what you need from them. The more they know how to support you, the more they're able to help you.
- take a break while you're out and about and just sit down for a bit...it's okay to take a break when you need one. And when you're ready to start again...go as you're able
- talk to yourself with love and encouragement...the words we use to talk to ourselves when feeling our pain can either hurt us or help us...choose your words wisely okay? do not beat yourself up!
- and when you get home and you're hurting for all you've done...take the time to soothe yourself. DO NOT beat yourself up here either okay?! you lived beyond your pain!! and that is something to smile about
- and if the day(s) after leaves you hurting still? DO NOT beat yourself up! NOPE! DO NOT! nope! don't do it! but please...just take the time you need and do what you can to help you through it...gently
We can't help that we hurt and we can't change it either...but...there are things we can do to help us be more active and social in our lives...and there are things we can do to soothe ourselves when we have. Please give some thought to what can you do to help you.
take good care of you and I hope you enjoy your weekend
Picture found at Tales of an Overworked Mom on Facebook...go check her out!