Here are two examples to get you started
- what stresses me out...a loud busy pushing crowd
- my body's response...heart rate increases, feelings of being closed in happen, anxiety increases, breathing increases, flushed face, panic
- what can I do to help myself...remind myself that I am safe, have my music to distract me from the noise of the crowd, do a visualization exercise, calm my breathing focusing on slow deliberate breaths
- what stresses me out...feeling my pain increase when I'm in the middle of an activity that I really enjoy
- my body's response...increased pain, feelings of anger, frustration and anxiety
- what can I do to help myself...sit down and take a break, be patient with my body and my abilities, talking gently and encouragingly to myself, take my medication, use relaxation techniques to calm the pain, talk to my friends
Life is stressful let's face it and a life with pain brings a level of stress all of its own. Do you have a plan to handle the stress you face in life? Whatever stresses you out in life, you can lessen its impact when you plan for it.
So...give it some thought...what stresses you out and what are you going to do about it? Write your list down and put it on your fridge, tape it to the inside of your kitchen cupboard even or carry it in your wallet...but just keep it where you can find it when you need a reminder of how you can handle and even control the stress in your life.
Take good care of you and your stress levels too