I've been finding this week my sleep schedule has gone on vacation and left no one to cover for it. I'm wide awake during the night with my mind racing and my aching body feeling very alert, yet I'm so tired during the day it's a fight to keep my eyes open and to keep going. My brain idles in neutral. Has this ever happened to you? How do you handle it?
I've spent more time soaking in the tub this week than I have in a long time and I've had to reach for my coping skills again to help me through the days. If this has ever happened to you...how do you handle it?
Here are a few things I've turned to to survive this week....
- patience with my limitations...lack of sleep also leads to lack of clear thought sometimes and to moving slowly as I go about my day...go gently with yourself when you can't do all that you want to do in your day
- taking care of my needs...focusing on emotional, mental and physical needs replenishing my body...do what makes you feel good and take good care of you
- talking with care...patience, care and understanding that this time will pass and sleep will come again...don't allow the negative thoughts to stay in a sleep deprived mind...the negative settles in too quickly
- get busy...what keeps you occupied and moving until you can settle to sleep? hobbies, reading, writing a journal...when you can't sleep use your time productively
- lay down and rest...even though sleep may not come...rest...relax...and settle your body and mind with relaxation or meditation...calm your body and mind...settle your thoughts
When your days become your nights and your nights become your days...take good care of you