What goals did you list for yourself yesterday? Did you give thought to how you will reach those goals? If I could offer, the goals from yesterday are your long-term goals. What I am asking of you today, is to identify what steps you can take to reach your long-term goals. Please take the time and write down 4 short-term goals for each goal you identified yesterday in the challenge.
Long term goal (LTG) To improve my exercise habits.
Short term goal (STG) Within one week I will speak to my doctor to ensure it is safe and I am healthy enough to begin an exercise program. I will ask my doctor for suggestions.
Short term goal (STG) Within one week I will explore yoga, tai chi, and other exercise programs.
Short term goal (STG) Within two weeks I will sign up for an exercise program.
Short term goal (STG) Within two days I will start walking in my neighbourhood for 15 minutes three times a week. I will add 5 minutes to my walking time each week until I reach 45 minutes.
Short term goal (STG) Within in one week I will make an appointment to speak to my doctor about how I am feeling about and dealing with my pain/thoughts/emotions.
Short term goal (STG) At the same appointment with my doctor, I will ask for a referral to a counselor so I may have a way to talk about how I'm feeling and thinking.
Short term goal (STG) Within 3 days I will write and repeat a daily affirmation for myself every morning and also when I'm feeling negative.
Short term goal (STG) Starting now I will tell myself 5 things that I like and love myself every time I recognize that I am being negative with myself.
Your short term goals are time specific and meant to support your long term goal. If you are not progressing as you would like, review your short term goals and change accordingly. Do not give up....review your steps and change them if you need.
When setting goals it is important to keep the following in mind...
- who are the people in your life who will support, encourage and assist you to reach your goals? share your goals with them and ask for their support or even their company if you're going for a walk
- have a reward in place for when you do reach a goal...you've earned! now celebrate it! every time you reach a goal...no matter how small...take the time to celebrate that...even if it's just to say "way to girl, you did good"
- that your goals are realistic for your abilities while providing a challenge...don't set yourself up for failure by trying to do something that is far beyond your capabilities. Set smaller more reachable goals and always work towards the big ones okay?
- that your efforts are measurable - set realistic time frames (within one week I will.... within 3 days I will...) for when things will be done...when we set time frames for ourselves it keeps us "accountable" and it helps us to keep on track of our goals and to measure our efforts and successes too
- that your goals are yours and not someone else's wishes for your life - make your goals for you...are your goals for your life's benefit or someone else's?
- always remember that two steps forward and one step back is not a disaster...it's the cha cha...keep going forward! you got this!
What steps can you take today to help you reach your goals tomorrow? Every little step you take will get you there...but you have to keep taking them. Always remember...YOU are worth your effort! So make some goals for yourself moving forward and write down the steps you can take to help you reach them.
YOU can do this!