I can understand those feelings...I've had them myself during my journey and I'll admit I gave up for a bit. It took me some time to work through this...but I did. Have you ever felt some of those things? If you did...did you give up too or did you learn how to plan and prepare for your pain? What did you do?
Our pain may be a part of our lives now but we still have a life to live...How do you prepare for your pain so that you can live your life? What do you do to help yourself? What do you do after your activities to soothe yourself or do you? How do you talk to yourself when you're feeling your pain? What about when you've been invited somewhere...what does your internal dialogue sound like?
A lot of questions I know but please take the time to give them some thought and even write down your responses okay? Give them some careful consideration and decide if you're happy/satisfied with the way you're living your life. If you decide you're not happy...my next question is what will you do to change that?
- Gather your coping skills and use them...change them up when needed as some skills can lose the calming effect or just doesn't work one day...have options to choose from. What helps to keep you calm or to get you calm when you've been triggered? What works for you?
- Surround yourself with the people who support you and encourage you...especially the ones who can make you laugh even when you don't want to. Talk to them and let them know what you need as you need it while you're out.
- Talk nicely with yourself...the words we use when talking with ourselves can either beat us up or encourage us....choose your words wisely okay? Before leaving and during...give yourself a little pep talk okay? and once your home don't beat yourself up for causing more pain or feel bad that you feel bad...you've made memories and got active in your life.
- Bring along your medications and take as needed.
- Don't forget your cane or other assistive devices if you have them and use as needed.
- Take breaks to sit and to gather yourself...to lay down or to stretch - try some meditation or other relaxation techniques to calm your body...BREATHE!!
- Wear comfortable clothes...there is nothing than worse than being in uncomfortable clothes and feeling your pain...the pain just seems to double...wear fabrics that won't itch or make your skin crawl and things that aren't too tight and comfortable shoes too...dress for you and your comfort.
- When you get home...take some time to unwind and relax...soothe your body's needs.
We can't change that pain is now a part of our lives but we can learn how to prepare for it and we can be as active in our lives as we're able...but it's a choice. OH! and one thing to remember too...just because you may not be able to do everything like you used to do...there are still things you can do...you just need to do them differently now.
Don't stop living because of your pain okay? Plan for it and prepare for it...but live your life for you.
take good care of you